The year of 2013 is vital and important for Wuhan Institute of Virology to comprehensively implement the "One Three Five Strategic Planing (abbreviation 135)". Over the past year, under the joint efforts of all staff, the institute successfully completed various objectives through overall planning of various resources, highlighting the core competencies, effective promotion of scientific and technological innovation. The institute has made major breakthrough in three aspects, namely a) construction of China's high-level bio-safety research and technology system, b) bio-nano devices, and c) integration and application of green agriculture technology; and has made great progress in five key cultivation areas.
With a total of 34 disciplinary teams, 200 research projects, including 64 new projects in 2013, Wuhan Institute of Virology; published 132 academic papers included in SCI, including 42 paper among top 15% of this field,and was awarded 1 international (U.S.) patent, 1 Third Prize of Hubei Provincial Natural Science Award as the first completion unit and 1 Pesticide Registration Certificate through cooperation with enterprises.
Over the past year, there have been some significant advances in the following scientific research aspects:
1. SARS etiology origin: The live SARS-like coronavirus SL-CoV-WIV1 has been isolated for the first time from the bat droppings; and such virus has been confirmed to invade the host cells through the ACE2 of human beings, civets and Rhinolophus sinicus. The research result has so far provided the most convincing evidence to the view that Rhinolophus sinicus is the natural host of SARS-CoV (Nature, 2013).
2. The bat as basis of the natural host of different viruses: The complete genome sequence analysis and comparative genomics research show that the natural immune deficiency of bats may be the basis for bats to be the natural host of numerous viruses (Science, 2013).
3. Virus quantum dot live cell labeling and molecular tracing: The quantum dot labeling of viral membrane has been realized in live
cells; the virus labeling can be used for real-time tracing of virus infection process; the application of virology research in nanomaterials has been developed (ACS Nano, 2013).
4. Structure analysis of Japanese encephalitis virus RNA polymerase: The complete structure of yellow viral polymerase has been analyzed for the first time in the world, thus laying the foundation for the broad-spectrum drug design (PLOS Pathogens, 2013).
5. New antiviral natural immune regulation mechanism: The negative regulation protein WWP2, which is capable of specifically inhibiting TLR3 signaling pathway without affecting other innate immune signaling pathways, has been identified for the first time, hence providing important theoretical basis for future screening of specific targeted antiviral drug (PNAS, 2013).
6. Study of new mucosal adjuvant: A new type of protein adjuvant - recombinant flagellin protein has been granted the U.S. Patent, thus laying a good foundation for the new mucosal vaccine.
Throughout the year, Wuhan Institute of Virology has introduced 32 talents, including 1 researcher. One person was selected by the "Ten Thousand Talents Plan" as one of the first batch of young talents by the Organization Department of the Central Committee. The institute currently has 14 candidates in the "Hundred Talents Program", 4 winners of "National Outstanding Youth Fund" and 8 "973" and chief scientists of major projects. In 2013, Wuhan Institute of Virology has enrolled 44 graduate students, including 34 doctoral graduates; the students from the higher education institutions of "211Project " account for 46.5%. There are 259 graduate students. In 2013, a total of 74 graduate students have respectively received awards from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Hubei Province and Wuhan Education Base.
In terms of international cooperation, the Sino-French Cooperation Project, Sino-Dutch Strategic Alliance Project and Sino-British Cooperation Project, etc. are smoothly undertaken in Wuhan Institute of Virology. The institute has successfully hosted the 4th Sino-French-BioMerieux Network Annual Conference, the 6th High-level Biosafety Laboratories Director Meeting, the Sino-French Seminar on Biosafety Standards and the "135" International Expert Assessment. The institute has established her first overseas research institution--Sino-Africa Microbiological and Epidemiological Control and Research Sub-center. Throughout this year, 36 person visited abroad and 54 foreign scientists visited Wuhan Institute of Virology. The "Gehong Forum" and the "Sun Simiao Forum" established by the Institute have grew up to be well-known forum for high-level academic exchanges. In terms of Institute-local cooperation, the Institute has jointly established "Hubei Provincial Terrestrial Wildlife Disease Detection Center" with Hubei Provincial Forestry Department; has carried out large-scale application of biological mosquito-killing agent products in Beitun City, Xinjiang; and has obtained the EU organic certification for the broad-spectrum insecticide baculovirus through cooperation with Jiangxi Xinlong Bio-Technology Co., Ltd.
Over the past year, Wuhan Institute of Virology has carefully organized the study and implementation of the spirit of the 18th Party Congress, by shifting the focus of innovation culture to the cultivation of value concept and to the creation of spiritual atmosphere. Endeavor has been made to establish such technological values as "innovative technology, contribution to the country and benefit of the people", to gradually develop a cultural system characteristic of Wuhan Institute of Virology, featured by "truth-seeking, unity and cooperation, innovation, pursuit of excellence". We have successfully completed the selection of the members of leading group of the institute and the members of commission for discipline inspection and formed the new organization and style of Communist Party in the past year. Wuhan Institute of Virology for the first time was awarded the "Best Civilized Unit in Hubei Province".
2014 is the crucial year to accelerate implementing the strategy of innovation-driven development, the starting and implementation year of "demonstration action" planning of the Institute and an important year for Wuhan Institute of Virology to implement the "135". In close combination with "demonstration action" planning, we shall focus on promotion of scientific innovation ability and constantly promote the implementation of "135" planning of the institute to better serve the innovation-driven development.